How to put a password on a computer in Windows 10 (Windows 10)
To prevent unwanted access to your computer by third parties, it is recommended to set a password that will be required to enter to log in to your account. In the event that several people work at the computer, but you do not want others to access your files, then the password can be put only on your account, but not on the entire operating system.
There are several ways to close your account from unauthorized access with a password. To do this, you do not need to download and install any additional software.
Method 1: Settings
In this case, you will have to go to the "Options" Windows 10 and from there go to the settings of your account.
The instruction has the following form:
- Go to "Options" . To do this, you can use the key combination Win + I. If the combination did not work, then click on the “Start” icon, and in the opened menu select the gear icon.
- In the "Parameters" window , find the item "Accounts" .
- In the left menu, note the item "Login Options" .
- Under the “Password” heading , click on the “Add” button. Instead of a password, you can also use other login options, such as a PIN code.
- After pressing the button, a menu opens where you need to come up with a password, repeat it if you need to write a hint. If you had any password before, you will have to remove it, but in order to do this, you need to enter the old password in the special window that opens.
- Once you have set a new password, click on the “Finish” button. To check, you can log out and try logging in again.
Method 2: Command Line
The password can also be set using the "command line" . This method will be relevant not only for the 10-ki, but also for older versions of the OS. However, this method is not recommended to use those who are with the computer on "you", since there is some risk to disrupt the operating system of the operating system.
Step by step instructions for this method has the following form:
- Launch the "Command Line" . It can be started in several ways, but in this case the easiest way will be used, suitable only for Windows 10. Click on the "Start" icon , right-click and select "Command Prompt (Administrator)" from the drop-down menu. In new builds, instead of “Command line (administrator)” it may be written “Windows PowerShell (administrator)” .
- In the opened line, type net users so that the computer displays data on all accounts registered in the operating system.
- Now you need to set a command to apply a password to an account. The command template looks like this - net username password. Instead of “username” you need to enter the name of your account, and instead of “password” the password you want to set.
- To use the command, press Enter .
See also: How to open the "Command Line" in Windows 10
Typically, the password for Windows 10 you have to put the default (if you bought a computer with an already installed 10-koy). If you installed Windows 10 yourself or your computer was updated, then you can skip the step where you are required to set a password, but you can set it from the operating system at any time.